PROSPECT Ciaran Flanagan has waited over six years to make his professional boxing debut after his original attempt was stifled by a hand injury as a teenager.
Flanagan, who is from Oxford, originally registered as a professional back when he was 18-years-old but was forced to pull out four weeks before with a hand issue.
In the following years the now 24-year-old was plagued with a re-occurrence of the problem, leading him to believe he would never make it as a pro.
However, over time, Flanagan slowly became re-introduced to combat sports and now that his hand is holding up, he’s ready to make his debut at the second time of asking.
The prospect signed with boxing promoter and manager Mark Neilson last year and is set to feature on Neilson Boxing’s latest show at Bracknell on Saturday.
“Once I found out that my hand was holding up my love for the sport started to come back and that was when I spoke with Mark,” he said.
“When I had to pull out of my debut, I was devastated but it is part and parcel of boxing.
“Camp for the fight has been amazing.
“Me and my coach have really connected well, I love his coaching style and he’s really developed me.
“I’m his first full time fighter and when I spoke to Mark, I told him I was looking for a really technical coach who can develop me and that is what he’s done.”
Manager, Neilson said he’s looking forward to seeing the results of Flanagan’s hard work, as he reveals the prospect has been working with his coach for seven months in preparation for this weekend’s bout.
“I’m really excited to see Ciaran finally make his debut, he’s had to wait longer than most and it’ll be a really big occasion for him,” he added.
“He’s been working day in day out with his trainer, so I’m expecting a solid performance from him at the weekend.”